Friday fashion round up

Its that time again to look at this week's movers and shakers plus the down right disgraceful and what a better way to start than the height of glamour: Cannes Film Festival.

Ever since Cannes came on my radar years ago I have dreamt about walking down that red carpet (Clooney on one arm Gosling on the other naturally) and in my dreams, from now on, I will look a little something like Diane Kruger does below...

On opening night she wore a mint green Giambattista Valli couture dress with sweeping shoulder train-thingy! I just can't get enough of this dress, with every picture and every new angle I see it just gets better. Considering that the festival spans 11 days and Kruger is a judge this year, I am expecting a different show stopper every night from now on please.

Competing with Kruger for the best dressed award was Eva Longoria who wowed in a cream embroidered Marchesa gown finished with an endless tulle train. Another sleek up do and (slightly too large?) bejewelled clutch completed the look.

Eva Longoria and Diane Kruger both wore show stopping gowns on the opening night of Cannes
 
Next up and its more Cannes pictures and yes that is Diane again (what can I say I just can't get enough) wearing a burgundy Versus dress which laced up the sides for the festival's jury photo call.

Diane Kruger in burgundy Versus dress

Last up for Cannes (for now) is Marion Cotillard wearing a pale peach Dior dress with gold belt. Keeping it fresh with Lemon shoes by Versus Marion looked youthful, tres chic and very French in typical fashion.


Marion Cotillard in Dior

Next up and someone who has ticked all my trend boxes this week is Charlize Theron who has had a busy week promoting her new film, Snow White & the Huntsman. For the London premiere she chose a stunning Christian Dior couture S/S 12 dress with nude body and black overlay. The pleated sheer skirt added the right touch of sexy appeal whilst those smokey eyes meant business! For the Berlin premiere she tuned it down but still looked amazing.

Charlize Theron promoting her new movie this week

Another premiere now and from 'What to expect When you are Expecting' there were two clear winners: Jennifer Lopez in a nude Maria Lucia Hohan gown slit down the front, and a more demure Anna Kendrick in another nude dress, this time a highly embellished prom number from Elie Sabb.

J Lo and Anna Kendrick both work the nude trend

See more looks after the jump

Here is the part where I take a look at the styles i didn't like this week - and agree or disagree with my choices I try to explain my reasoning behind each picture.
First up is the Cannes looks that left me cold starting with Lana Del Ray. I think she was going for sophisticated old school glamour with this black Alberta Ferretti A/W 2012-13 gown, but all I am feeling is bored.

Jessica Chastain also failed to make an impact in a pale pink Alexander McQueen number. When you think back to THE canary yellow Zac Posen dress she wore last year in comparison this looks like she has rolled out of bed and straight into sweatpants. Try harder next time please.

Tilda Swinton meanwhile wore a custom made Haider Ackermann copper gown which was shimmering and structured in equal measures. My main problem with this is that she has pretty much worn Haider Ackermann to Cannes for the past few years - hit the snooze button Tilda I'm going back to sleep..

Lana Del Rey, Jessica Chastain and Tilda Swinton all failed to shine on the night

I think this is a love or hate situation: Freida Pinto in Michael Angel. The multi-coloured crystal bodice, the pink peplum-draped skirt, thigh-high split (which I am so over by the way) the silver waistband, truly evil ankle strapped miss-matching shoes - my eyes don't know where to look. I really don't like this but I am just going to put it down to personal taste as most people  seem to rate it.

Freida Pinto in Michael Angel

Another offender of the thigh high split was Nicole Sherzinger wearing a Cengiz Abazoglu ensemble (corset and skirt) to the Men in Black 3 London Premiere. The black structured ensemble is part of the designer's A/W 2009/10 Haute Couture Collection and she accessorised with Vanessa Leu earrings and ring. Just like Pinto I think there is too much going on - she's trying to hard and it shows.

Sherzinger wearing a Cengiz Abazoglu

Next I am turning my attention onto serial offender Kristen Stewart. Those of you who have read my posts before know I am no fan of her style and whilst I can appreciate that she is trying hard, next to co-star Charlize Theron its lost in translation. For the London premiere Kristen wore a Gothic black lace Marchesa A/W 12-13 with an embroidered skeleton illusion bodysuit. I disliked this style as soon as it went down the catwalk so the poor girl had no chance of satisfying me. 


Kristen Stewart in 10 Crosby by Derek Lam and Marchesa

I'm going to end with an open letter to Cheryl Cole: For the love of god woman hire a
stylist.

Cheryl Cole looking gaudy

No comments:

Post a Comment